- Q: What is Galactic Civilizations?
- A: Galactic Civilizations is a 4X space strategy game set in the 23rd century. Humans compete with
alien civilizations for control of the galaxy. Galactic Civilizations is created by Stardock Entertainment and
has won numerous awards, including being recently listed as #75 in PC Gamer’s Top 100 Greatest PC Games of all
time. Galactic Civilizations remains one of the highest-rated strategy franchises ever.
- Q: When will Galactic Civilizations III come out?
- A: The Founder's alpha is under way, with our Elite Founders in-game now and giving us the feedback
we need to take the game into its beta release. We expect our beta -- and the regular-price edition availability
-- to launch in the third quarter of 2014.
- Q: How can I get Galactic Civilizations III earliest?
- A: You can join the Founder’s Program.
- Q: What is the Founder’s Program?
- A: The Founder's Program is a special early access program that allows you to participate in the
creation of Galactic Civilization III. Founders get access to the beta program when it launches (Q3 2014) and
receive a special Founder’s forum badge, as well being able to purchase the game at a reduced cost ($39.99
rather than the full $49.99 retail price). The discounted Founder's Edition is no longer available, but you
can still purchase the Elite Founder's Edition and get early access to Galactic Civilizations III that way.
- Q: Beta? You said you were planning on a Founder’s alpha!
- A: We’re so glad you asked that. True Galactic Civilizations superfans can purchase the Founder’s
Elite Edition, which comes with alpha access (available now), all DLC and expansions we ever produce for Galactic
Civilizations III (and we’ve got some big plans for those), the ability to name a star that will appear in the
game, a special thanks in the game’s credits, and more.
- Q: I bought the Founder's Edition, and I want to play the alpha.
- A: While alpha access is an exclusive perk for Elite Founder's, any Founder's Edition owner can
upgrade to the Elite Founder's Edition for the difference in price between the two ($60).
- Q: Does the Founder's Elite Edition come with the base game too?
- A: Of course.
- Q: How do I name a star once I've bought the Founder's Elite Edition?
- A: Once you've purchased the Elite Edition, go here. As with all Galactic
Civilizations III support, you'll need to log into your Stardock account to access your Founder's perks.
- Q: When will my star name be put into the game?
- A: We currently plan to include Elite Founder's star names with the beta release.
- Q: Is Galactic Civilizations III using Oxide's new Nitrous engine?
- A: Stardock is thrilled about our strategic relationship with the talented team at Oxide Games, but Galactic
Civilizations III is not using their Nitrous engine. Not because we don't think Nitrous is amazing – we've seen it, and
"amazing" is a good way to describe it – but because we've been working on Galactic Civilizations III for a long time,
and Nitrous is still being built. Galactic Civilizations III runs on a custom, in-house engine we built specifically
for the game.
- Q: What are the requirements to run Galactic Civilizations III?
- A: It will require a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or 8 along with a DirectX 10 or 11 compatible video card.
There will be no 32-bit version. Most PC gamers in 2013 have this kind of hardware, and it allows us to
create the best game possible for the majority of our customers.
- Q: Why are you requiring 64-bit?
- A: We want Galactic Civilizations III, and future expansions, to be able to handle extremely large
galaxies with a very high resolution graphics and large data sets for the computer AI to make use of.
It allows us to design the best game possible without being constrained by the limitations of older hardware.
- Q: Why don’t you support DirectX 9?
- A: DirectX 10 and 11 allow us to easily have multiple threads touch the graphics card simultaneously.
This results in much higher-quality font rendering, makes it a lot easier to support advanced UI scaling, and makes
the game less CPU-bound which will be important for giving the artificial intelligence engine more processing power
to execute VCSS’s (Very Complex Strategy Simulations). As with the decision to be 64-bit, it allows us to create a
better game for the majority of players that already meet the requirements.
- Q: Will the game require a network connection to play?
- A: No. However, some of the AI learning mechanisms will require access to the Metaverse in order
to perform analysis on player strategies. This will be optional and able to be disabled by the
player but does require an Internet connection.
- Q: Will it have any copy protection?
- A: No. Unless you consider requiring a user account copy protection (which we do require as it’s necessary
to allow users to be able to re-download the entire game and receive updates and support).
- Q: Turn-based or real time?
- A: Turn-based.
- Q: Will there be a campaign?
- A: Yes. The campaign begins 10 years after the events of Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor.
- Q: Is there multiplayer?
- A: Yes, there is online multiplayer. Stay tuned for details, but we can at least confirm that some form of
asynchronous play will be included so you don't have to get your friends to commit to playing for several hours in one sitting
to complete a game.
- Q: Do I need to have played Galactic Civilizations I or II?
- A: No. The campaign part will fill the player in on the backstory before it starts. It doesn’t matter
if you’ve played those games or not. But Galactic Civilizations II is a great way to get ready for
Galactic Civilizations III and can be purchased here.
- Q: What are some of the big differences between Galactic Civilizations II and III?
- A: There are too many additions to list here – the game is being built on new technology from
the ground up. The big areas are much more sophisticated ship design so you can build the ship
of your dreams (internally we call the ship designer “mini-maya” after the 3D modeling program),
more interesting planetary management, more sophisticated diplomacy, and a lot more depth with
regards to the strategic map with the addition of interstellar terrain and other anomalies.
- Q: Hexes or squares?
- A: Hexes.
- Q: Any new aliens?
- A: Yes.
- Q: How much is it?
- A: The final price is $49.99, but those who joined the Founder’s Program early get it for $39.99. You can
still become an Elite Founder and get the game (including alpha access right now!), all DLC and expansions, and some
other goodies for $99.99.
- Q: How do I get it?
- A: Click here!